EU citizen in the UK? Apply for settled or pre-settled status now


If you are an EU citizen living in the UK, you should obtain either settled or pre-settled status now. Doing so will ensure you are able to live and work here without problems after Brexit.


Pre-settled status

If you can prove that you have been in the UK for at least one day in the last six months, you can apply for pre-settled status. It's a quick process, and will give you the right to live and work in the UK long enough to obtain full settled status, if that is what you want. 

To apply for pre-settled status you need evidence of being in the UK for at least one day from the past six months. This could be any one of the below (other forms of evidence are also acceptable):
  • Used airline, train, ferry or ship ticket that shows the date you entered the UK.
  • Stamp in your passport showing you entered the UK (relevant for non-EU spouses etc).
  • Monthly bank statement showing money you've spent or received in the UK.
  • Mobile phone bill in your name with your address in the UK.
  • Council tax, water, gas or electricity bill.
  • National insurance number.
  • Letter or appointment card from your GP, a hospital or other healthcare professional.

If you have a document of this kind, you should be able to apply immediately (even if you only just arrived). Advice on how to do this can be found here.

Even if you're only applying for pre-settled status now, you will be able to apply for permanent settled status in the future. It will be easier if you have the documents ready - you should start collecting the evidence described below (in the settled status section) as soon as you can.


Settled status

If you can prove that you have been resident in the UK for at least six months a year, for a five year period, you can apply for settled status (there are some exemptions that reduce these requirements). Further advice on the rules, and how to apply, can be found here. The really important point is to have documents that prove that you were resident in the UK for this time. Single documents that give evidence for a long period are best, such as:
  • tax documents - for example your P60 or P45.
  • a letter from your employer confirming your employment (or college confirming your enrolment and attendance).
  • pension statements showing your employer's pension contributions.
  • council tax bills.
  • mortgage statements for a house or flat.
  • your tenancy agreement and evidence that you've made payments - for example a bank statement or receipt.
  • annual bank statements or account summaries.
Even if you're not ready to apply now, you should start collecting these documents for the future. 

Share this post on social media: